Elements Academy of Martial Arts

Elements Academy of Martial Arts
This is the place to train.

Emma Lynds

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lessons of Jiu Jitsu

My favorite days of the week are any that include Jiu Jitsu! Two years ago I started training in the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and it has changed the way I think and has shaped the new me.
It is a game of strategy, humility, agility, athleticism, and patience. There is much more though. When you put all of those things together and you add perseverance to the mix, you develop a lot of character and you grow as an individual. I have learned a lot about myself through Jiu Jitsu. I now know that I am a fighter in every sense of the word. I don't like to lose (who does?), but what I've taken from losing is that I have the humility to digest the lesson, grow from it and get back in there and do it again. I competed in a tournament last year where there was only one woman in my division, so they mixed us with the men. My coach, Todd Smith, wanted to leave but I insisted that we came to fight and that's what I wanted to do. I lost a few of my fights that day (but I also drew a few), watched my only legit. opponent get her shoulder dislocated (men don't like to lose to women), and came home feeling like a I got hit by a truck. I took a lot from that day though and I have something inside of me that I hadn't had the opportunity to tune into before. I don't give up, I have lots of fight in me, I can defend myself pretty well against a much stronger opponent, and I know that I still have a lot to learn. The other thing is that I probably should have listened to my coach - he knows what's best for me because he has a depth of knowledge and experience that has been developed over 14 years. I am very lucky to have him in my corner. I was well prepared and had all of the right things in place to come away from that tournament with a Gold, but the conditions weren't what we anticipated. You can adapt, but you can't really control the outcome.
I think the biggest life lesson I've got from Jiu Jitsu is that I can only control how I react to a situation. Life is full of surprises and unexpected bumps, but instead of trying to control those external forces, I have learned to react appropriately and that feels powerful because I am getting better and better at handling things that come at me. I have developed more respect for the people around me because I listen more, rather than trying to control what they do. My connections with the people I love are deeper and have more meaning.
If you haven't tried Jiu Jitsu, I highly recommend it. I believe it's for everyone. It's a powerful form of self-defense and has the power to transform you.
Todd runs the Jiu Jitsu program at my club and we even have a Women's Only Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class on Tuesday nights at 8pm.
Totally Legitsu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment